First, I want to say "welcome." But is that appropriate when you don't yet have an audience and don't know if you'll even get one?
I figured it would make sense in my first entry to explain the title of this blog--giornatale. When I signed up for blogger, a few of the names that I tested out had already been taken, such as one of my e-mail addresses, "whatelsecanibe." Trying to be clever, I toyed with combining my name and the word "journal" to call it "journat," but it didn't have a nice ring to it.
From there, I thought of the Italian word for newspaper or journal, "giornale" (click here to hear how it's pronounced). I have always remembered the Italian word for newspaper by remembering that it sounds like and has the same latin prefix as "journal." So I combined "giornale" with the italian word "natale," which is a reference to birth as well as to Christmas. Natale is of course what my name is based on. My mom always told me my name meant "little Christmas" in Italian. While she may have been mistaken, since she is the one who chose my name, what she thought is all that really matters.
*ps: After writing this blog entry, and not knowing whether or not to post it and get my blog up and running, I decided to research the phrase "little Christmas" to see if there was any truth to what mom thought about my name. I will take it as a sign to start posting this blog that it turns out that today (January 6) is the epiphany or the 12th day of Christmas. It is often referred to as "Little Christmas" in some places, like Italy. Imagine that!
I figured it would make sense in my first entry to explain the title of this blog--giornatale. When I signed up for blogger, a few of the names that I tested out had already been taken, such as one of my e-mail addresses, "whatelsecanibe." Trying to be clever, I toyed with combining my name and the word "journal" to call it "journat," but it didn't have a nice ring to it.
From there, I thought of the Italian word for newspaper or journal, "giornale" (click here to hear how it's pronounced). I have always remembered the Italian word for newspaper by remembering that it sounds like and has the same latin prefix as "journal." So I combined "giornale" with the italian word "natale," which is a reference to birth as well as to Christmas. Natale is of course what my name is based on. My mom always told me my name meant "little Christmas" in Italian. While she may have been mistaken, since she is the one who chose my name, what she thought is all that really matters.
*ps: After writing this blog entry, and not knowing whether or not to post it and get my blog up and running, I decided to research the phrase "little Christmas" to see if there was any truth to what mom thought about my name. I will take it as a sign to start posting this blog that it turns out that today (January 6) is the epiphany or the 12th day of Christmas. It is often referred to as "Little Christmas" in some places, like Italy. Imagine that!