I got a fortune cookie with some takeout. I didn't break open the cookie until a day later. This message was inside. I thought it was one of the best I've gotten, especially since many fortune cookie messages aren't very good.The message seemed prophetic when I opened it--right after a phone call. I had been on the phone for an hour with someone in Atlanta. I found out during the call that he's an artist (a painter). Granted, he was only in my house via a telephone connection. I still think that counts. And hopefully it was a sign that there will be more of such people in my life in the near future.
I felt good after that phone call and the follow-up fortune made it even better. It's funny how little positive things that happen to us can have a great effect. Last week, I was walking to my car after work. At an intersection a nice man let me pass in front of his car. I waved and said thanks. I walked a few more blocks and there he was again, having made several turns on the one-way streets. He motioned to let me across the street a 2nd time, at first not noticing I was the same person from before. We both laughed when we made eye contact and realized it was deja vu all over again.
I smiled as I continued walking, thinking how a stranger's kindness (x2) made an otherwise uneventful moment seem special. He made a connection with me when he easily could have let me wait while he drove by. We should all do these kinds of things for other people. Even one or two small caring gestures each day could greatly affect other lives in ways we may not even perceive. I wish I could deliver this reminder to myself in a fortune cookie (even though it's not a fortune) since it would be more memorable. Instead, I'll just have to re-read this post once in a while.