alanis & friends

What better way to celebrate the 4th of July than a post about a Canadian! Alanis Morissette is a super-talented songwriter and singer. She also seems like a cool person with a great sense of humor.

In case you didn't know, Alanis has been a public person for quite some time. She was on the Nickelodeon show "You Can't Do That on Television" as a kid. Then, she had a stint as a pop singer. Songs and videos like this one for "
Too Hot" are why many Canadians couldn't take her seriously when her Jagged Little Pill album debuted. I suppose I understand this. If Debbie (now Debra) Gibson or Tiffany had suddenly made alternative rock songs with deep meaning I probably wouldn't have done more than laugh.

When they did the "Let's Go to the Mall" video on "How I Met Your Mother," I figured it was a spoof of Alanis. After all, the character Robin Sparkles (and the actress who plays her) is from Canada. (No one takes their money or military seriously, as noted on that show.)

As I said, Alanis seems to have a great sense of humor. She pokes fun at her past pop-music self. Check out this concert appearance where she performs "Too Hot" in her grown-up style.

The giant success of "You Oughtta Know" made many people think that she was an angry woman who had an ok voice, since she sort of scream-sings a lot of it. But her voice is actually incredible. She has powerful vocals and a great range. Don't believe me? See her live here.

As for the angry part, her songs are about lots of different things. Some are about men, in a positive and negative light. Some are about her own hang-ups and shortcomings. One's about her growing up Catholic. Yep, I can relate to that one!
One of my favorite songs of hers is "Right Through You." If you're a female who's ever had a man treat you like a mindless object by men, you'll understand. There are way too many great songs of hers to list, though. I'm sure some will be on the repeat button in the coming weeks.

Besides all of her talent, Alanis even got to pretend-date Joey long before we all knew him. I guess it didn't work out.