My cousin Dina left last week with her 3 kids, headed to meet her husband in Washington State. They'll be living near Seattle for the next 2 years. Her kids, 11, 9 and 7, weren't too happy about the move, as you may expect. They're close with cousins and friends in RI and Virginia (where they spent the last 2 years). They understand that being so far away, they won't be in RI for holidays and quick weekend visits. I have no idea when I'll see Dina again. It's possible that the entire 2 years will pass before we can get together. I hope not, but it is a possibility. Fortunately, Dina & Co. are going to have a great trip across the country on their way to Washington. They're visiting Niagara Falls, Chicago, the Grand Tetons and more. Also, Dina's mom is along for the ride with them. I am sure it will be a memorable and--someday, for the kids--treasured trip.
The night before they left, I went over Dina's parents' house to see everyone. The 2 youngest kids were in bed already. Nathan, the oldest, was up watching TV. I asked him if he was ready for his trip, and he said "No!" a bit angrily, and partly sadly. I told him that I knew how he felt. I explained that growing up in Fort Lauderdale, I always wanted to be back here near my RI family. I missed my cousins. When my parents told us we were moving back to RI, my brother and I were literally jumping up and down and cheering, I told him.
I don't know if Nathan felt better at all from my comments. Maybe it helped just a teeny bit. Dina said she's explained to the kids how hard it was for her to be separated from me when we were young. But we were always close friends, even with the distance. The night before they left, Dina and her kids had to say goodbye to her brothers and their children. She said the ride back from her brother's house was awful--all 3 kids in tears. She tried to comfort them and refrain from crying herself.
I remember how quiet I would be when we left RI to return to Florida--via plane or car--feeling sad. As a grown-up, things are a bit more in perspective. Nothing is forever, we tell ourselves. But having my cousin so far, far away for at least a few years . . . even as an adult it kind of seems like forever.
ps Happy VJ Day, everyone! We in RI have the day off. :-P